State Bank of Czecho-Slovakia

Law No. 31/1950 brought about a reform of the banking system, culminating in the establishment on 3rd July, 1950, of the State Bank of Czecho-Slovakia (Statna banka cesko-slovenska - SBCS), as a single socialist bank in charge of everything from monetary policy to lending, financing and money issues. In socialist Czecho-Slovakia at that time there were also a few specialized financial institutions: Ceskoslovenska obchodna banka (Czecho-Slovak commercial bank), Ceska statna sporitelna (Czech state savings bank), Slovenska Statna sporitelna (Slovak state savings bank), Zivnostenska banka (Entrepreneurs bank) and Investicna banka (Investment bank). This centrally directed system continued until 1989. After 1990, Slovakia witnessed a return of the commercial banks and the SBCS finally ceased operating on December 31, 1992. All that remains of the State Bank of Czecho-Slovakia are some 1,300 meters of documents and files in the Archives.

A 100,000 Kcs bond of SBCS from 1967
A 100,000 Kcs bond of SBCS from 1967