Slovak Bank

Upon its establishment in June 1879, Ruomberský astinrsky verkový spolok had a share capital of 30,000 guilders and became the first pure banking institution without the title "savings." Heading the enterprise were brothers Peter and Daniel Makovicky. In 1904, the company changed its name to Uverna banka, uc. spol. (credit bank) and appointed Peter Makovicky's son Vladimir Makovicky as chairman. He was active in this position for nearly 40 years.

Slovenska banka head office in Bratislava
Slovenska banka head office in Bratislava

After the establishment of Czecho-Slovakia on January 19, 1919, the name was again changed to Slovensk banka and its headquarters moved to Bratislava. Besides being the oldest Slovak bank, it was also the leading financial institution in the country together with Tatra banka. On January 1, 1948, Slovenska banka merged with Tatra banka and continued business until 1950 as Slovensk Tatra banka. Some 130 meters of documents have been saved. The most interesting records are minutes of general meetings and committees dating as far back as 1879. Both are written in Slovak, as are the annual statements.