National Bank of Czecho-Slovakia

The NBCS branch building in Bratislava
The NBCS branch building in Bratislava

The National Bank of Czecho-Slovakia (Narodna banka cesko-slovenska - NBCS) was the central bank of the Czechoslovak Republic between 1926 and 1950 (with a break from 1939 to April 1945, when the Slovak National Bank was formed). Documents showing the operation of NBCS head office and its predecessors are stored outside the Slovak Republic: in Prague, Vienna and Budapest. The only items shelved in the Archive are written records from NBCS branches and their predecessors in Bratislava, Banska Bystrica, Nitra and Zilina. In addition, there are documents relating to operations of the Bratislava-based NBCS Provincial Office, which spent its short spell of independence between 1945 and 1950 running all personnel, lending and foreign exchange affairs concerning Slovakia. Today, the Archive has about 40 meters of documents concerning the NBCS. Among the most intriguing and best-preserved are the records of the Bratislava branch, some of which date back to the time of the Austrian-Hungarian Bank and the finance ministry's Treasury Office, along with written records of the aspirations of Slovakia's leading financers to reorganize the industry and give the country more control of the bank's administration. The most complete file in stock is the register of the NBCS Provincial Office, documenting its establishment, operation and the systematic erosion of its power within the NBCS, as the Prague Office grew in power.