Where to seek help?

If communication with the service provider fails to produce the expected results, you should seek help somewhere else.

Take your time to choose the right institution and to formulate your   complaint in line with the requirements.

The list of the entities that may help you to resolve a consumer-related problem also contains references to their websites where the due form of a complaint, its contents and annexes, and the contact data of the entities concerned are available.

  1. Extrajudicial dispute resolution
  2. Supervisory authorities
  3. Commission for verifying the terms of consumer agreements
  4. Professional associations
  5. Consumer associations
  6. Centre of Legal Assistance
  7. Lawyer
  8. Court