UNESCO World Heritage - Spišský Hrad and the Associated Cultural Monuments

Commemorative gold 5 000 Sk

The Spis Castle (Spissky hrad) is the most extensive medieval castle in Slovakia, and with an area of more than four hectares, one of the largest castle complexes in Europe. Its existence is first recorded in a written document issued by King Andrew II in 1209. At that time, the castle was the administrative, economic and cultural centre of Spis. The original Romanesque stone castle was built at the end of the eleventh, or beginning of the twelfth century on the side of a prehistoric hillfort and underwent many alterations in the Romanesque-Gothic, Gothic and Renaissance styles. Until 1464 it belonged to the Kings of Hungary, and later to the Zapolsky, Thurzo and Csaky families. In the 18th century it lost its military significance and began to decay. After a fire in 1780 it gradually fell into ruin.

In 1961 the Spis Castle was declared a national cultural monument, and in December 1993 it was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List, together with the cultural monuments in its surroundings - Spisska Kapitula, Spisske Podhradie and the early Gothic Church of the Holy Spirit at Zehra.

Description of the coin

Obverse

Obverse:
The dominant motif on the obverse of the coin is the Romanesque sculpture of a white lion from the Cathedral of St. Martin at Spisska Kapitula. The coat of arms of the Slovak Republic is placed in a stylised Romanesque window, around which is the inscription SLOVENSKA REPUBLIKA.

Reserve

Reverse:
The reverse of the coin shows the Spis Castle, placed in a Romanesque window, around which is the inscription SVETOVE DEDICSTVO UNESCO (UNESCO World Heritage). The name SPISSKY HRAD and the face value of the coin are placed below.

Coin's data

Designer: Pavel Karoly
Material: Au 900, Ag 100
Weight: 9,5 g
Diameter: 26 mm
Edge: finely milled
Producer: Kremnica mint (Slovak Republic)
Number of
pieces minted:
6,000 proof