UNESCO World Heritage - Banská Štiavnica and the Technical Monuments in its Vicinity

Gold 5000 Sk coin

Banska Stiavnica, the oldest mining town in Slovakia, had acquired a dominant position in Europe at the beginning of the 13th century. In a document issued in 1275, it preserved the oldest known town-seal from the medieval Kingdom of Hungary. From the 13th to the 19th centuries, it was one of the most important centres for the extraction of gold and silver, and was at that time the most important centre of mining engineering and education. The most ingenious mine-water management system in the world with progressive mining, processing and water pumping technology was constructed in the area in the 18th century. It achieved world-wide importance due to its Mining Academy (1762-1919), which was founded by Queen Maria Theresia as the first of its kind in the world. In 1950, it was declared a historic town reserve because of its unique architectural monuments. In December 1993, Banska Stiavnica and the local technical monuments were added to the UNESCO World Heritage list.

Description of the coin

Obverse

Obverse:
An impression of the steam engine constructed by the mining engineer Jozef Karol Hell for pumping water out of mines is depicted on the coin. The coat of arms of the Slovak Republic and the nominal value of the coin are placed to the right. The name of the state "SLOVENSKA REPUBLIKA" and the year of issue are given on the lower margin of the coin.

Reserve

Reverse:
The dominant architectural features of the town are depicted on the coin. The Baroque plague column of the Holy Trinity is placed in the centre, with the tower of the Old Castle and the Townhall to the right, the late-Gothic church of St.Catharine is in front and the mining warning tower to the left. The shield of the town is placed on the lower margin.

Coin's data

Designer: Milan Vircik
Material: Au 900, Ag 100
Weight: 9.5 g
Diameter: 26 mm
Edge: milled
Producer: Kremnica mint (Slovak Republic)
Number of
pieces minted:
8 000 proof