UNESCO World Heritage - Spišský Hrad and the Associated Cultural Monuments

Commemorative silver 200

The Spis Castle (Spissky hrad) is the most extensive medieval castle in the territory of Slovakia, and with an area of more than four hectares, one of the largest castle complexes in Europe. The earliest surviving record of its existence was issued by King Andrew II in 1209. In that period, the castle was already the administrative, economic and cultural centre of the county of Spis. The original Romanesque stone castle with fortification walls underwent many alterations in the Romanesque-Gothic, Gothic and Renaissance styles. Until 1464 it belonged to the Kings of Hungary, and later to the Zapolsky, Thurzo and Csaky families. In the 18th century it lost its military significance, ceased to be the seat of its owners and began to decay. After a fire in 1780, it gradually fell into ruin.

In 1961 the Spis Castle was declared a national cultural monument, and in December 1993 it was added to the UNESCO List of World Heritage, together with the other cultural monuments in its surroundings.

Description of the coin

Obverse

Obverse:
The obverse of the coin shows the twin-towers of the Cathedral of St. Martin; part of the fortifications and the entrance gate to the urban monument of Spisska Kapitula; the name of the state SLOVENSKA REPUBLIKA; the face value of the coin and the coat of arms of the Slovak Republic.

Reserve

Reverse:
The reverse of the coin depicts Spis Castle, with the inscription SVETOVE DEDICSTVO UNESCO (UNESCO World Heritage) and Spissky hrad, and a detail of a window of the Romanesque palace in the castle.

Coin's data

Designer: Milan Vircik
Material: Ag 750, Cu 250
Weight: 20 g
Diameter: 34 mm
Edge: inscription: "PATRIMOINE MONDIAL - WORLD HERITAGE"
Producer: Kremnica mint (Slovak Republic)
Number of
pieces minted:
15,000
of which 1,500 proof
Demonetized: 700 in brilliant uncirculated quality (2006)