450th anniversary of the completion of the Old Fortress in Komárno

500 Sk Commemorative Silver Coin

Komarno, a town situated at the confluence of the Danube and Vah rivers, is one of the oldest settlements in the Carpathian Basin. In the 16th century, it lay on the border of the Habsburg Monarchy and the Osman Empire. Therefore, in the first half of the 16th century, under the rule of Ferdinand I, the medieval Komarno Royal Castle was rebuilt into a well defended fortress. The ruler probably commissioned Pietro Ferrabocso, an important Italian architect, painter and sculptor, to draw up the project. He designed a state-of-the-art polygonal bastion system. The construction of the Renaissance anti-Turkish fortress began in 1546 under the guidance of Italian builders, and was completed in 1557.

In the 17th century, the Old Fortress was expanded by the New Fortress and the advanced bridgeheads behind the banks of the Danube and Vah rivers. In the 19th century, it was used as a basis for the construction of a large defence system, which became the largest, strongest defence structure of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, and one which was never captured. With regard to its architectonic and historical value, it is one of the most important historic fortifications in the world.

Description of the coin

Obverse

Obverse:
The Old Fortress at Komarno is depicted with two warships in front of it, on the upper part of the obverse of the coin. The name of the state SLOVENSKA REPUBLIKA is placed on the lower margin with the state shield and the date 2007. The nominal value of the coin - 500 Sk - is above the fortress. The stylized initials of the designer of the obverse Karol Licko are placed to the right below one of the ships.

Reserve

Reverse:
On the reverse of the coin, the Old Fortress depicted according to a 16th century engraving is placed in the upper part with the date of its completion: 1557. In the lower part is a fragment of a scene from the wars against the Turks with the flags and spears on both sides. On the upper margin is the text PEVNOST KOMARNO (Fortress of Komarno). The stylized initials the designer of the reverse Maria Poldaufova and the Kremnica Mint mintmark are placed to the left of the depiction of the fortress.

Coin's data

Designer: obverse: Karol Licko
Designer: reverse: Maria Poldaufova
Material: Ag 925, Cu 75
Weight: 33,63 g
Diameter: 40 mm
Edge: relief inscription "NEC ARTE NEC MARTE" (neither by lies nor by force) and "COMORRA" (Komarno)
Producer: Kremnica Mint
Engraver: Dalibor Schmidt
Number of
pieces minted:
brilliant uncirculated quality: 4,600
proof quality: 2,600
Date of issue: 15 May 2007

Prospectus (PDF file; 848 KB)