50th anniversary of the Slovak National Gallery

200 Sk Silver Coin

The Slovak National Gallery (SNG) was established in 1948 as the highest state art historical, collecting and cultural-educational institution. It directed its activities towards acquisition, research, preservation, restoration and presentation of the cultural heritage in all disciplines of the creative arts. At first, acquisition activity was oriented especially towards painting, sculpture, drawing and graphic arts, but later it was extended to artefacts of applied and naive art, as well as the areas of scenography, artistic photography, architecture and a collection of inter-media tendencies.

The SNG publishes a large amount of literature about art. It has the largest library of publications about art in Slovakia, an archive of creative arts and a central catalogue. It is situated in the Late Baroque building by the River Danube in Bratislava.

Description of the coin

Obverse

Obverse:
The obverse of the coin shows a panel painting "Madonna and Child from Poprad" by a Levoca painter from the collection of Gothic art of the SNG, the name of the state SLOVENSKA REPUBLIKA and the coat of arms.

Reserve

Reverse:
The reverse of the coin shows a Baroque picture "Daughters of King Lykomedes" from classical mythology, by the Italian painters Ciovanni Coli and Filippo Gherardi, from the collection of European art of the SNG, the text "SLOVENSKA NARODNA GALERIA" (Slovak National Gallery), and dates indicating the year of foundation and the year of the fiftieth anniversary of the SNG: 1948 - 1998.

Coin's data

Designer: Milan Vircik
Material: Ag 750, Cu 250
Weight: 20 g
Diameter: 34 mm
Edge: inscription: "GOTIKA A BAROK V ZBIERKACH SNG"
(Gothic and Baroque in the collections of the SNG)
Producer: Kremnica mint (Slovak Republic)
Number of
pieces minted:
16,600
of which 1,600 proof
Demonetized: 700 in brilliant uncirculated quality (2006)